This circa 1950 bungalow possessed “good bones” but lacked the space required by a growing family. The owners wanted a larger garage, large family room and new master bedroom suite. These core program wishes were developed in a manner that would produce a substantial exterior upgrade as well. The new family room was given a position of prominence over the new 2-car garage. Its cathedral ceiling and large windows to both the front and rear yards enhance its sense of space. The new master bedroom suite extends into the rear yard sanctuary creating an intimate deck space adjacent to the bedroom. The existing finished basement restricted the use of internal supports for the new steeply pitched roof structure. As a result, all new construction was designed to clear span all existing spaces and use only exterior walls as a means of support.